An association in tissue banking with members mainly from ASEAN countries was established in 1985 in Bangkok after proposed by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Advisory Group. In 1988, the association was renamed from Pan Asiatic Tissue Bank Organisation to Asia Pacific Association of Surgical Tissue Banks (APASTB). Annual Meeting was organised every 2 years in conjunction with international conference, IAEA workshops or seminars.
The 12th International Conference APASTB was held from 2 to 6 June 2008 in Kuala Lumpur in conjunction with the 5th World Congress on Tissue Banking involving European Association of Tissue Banks (EATB), American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB), Australia Tissue Bank Forum (ATBF), Latin American Association of Tissue Banks (ALABAT) and APASTB. Three Special Lectures for APASTB conference were inaugurated during this World Congress:
- Glyn Phillips Lecture
- Abdurrahman Lecture
- Hudson Silva Lecture
Glyn Phillips Lecture is dedicated to Professor Dr Glyn Owen Phillips. Professor Glyn O. Phillips is both a scientist, and a teacher with several fields of interest. His main areas of research have been radiation chemistry, chemistry of carbohydrates, hydrocolloids and connective tissues. One of his great contributions in the international tissue banking arena was his work with the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) programme in setting up Tissue Banks throughout the world (in almost 30 countries in Asia and the Pacific Region, Africa and Latin America). Professor Phillips was elected an Honorary Member of the Asia Pacific Surgical Tissue Banking Association in 2000. The first international publication in tissue banking was “Advances in Tissue Banking” and Professor Phillips was Editor in Chief of this publication when it was initiated in 1997 and he was also a Co- Editor of the Journal “Cell and Tissue Banking”.
Title: TRAINING TISSUE BANKERS IN ASIA PACIFIC REGION
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AZIZ NATHER
Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Director, National University Hospital Tissue Bank (1988 – current)
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
National University Health System
• Director, IAEA/NUS Regional Training Centre for Tissue Bank Operators in Asia Pacific Region (1997 – 2017)
• Director IAEA/NUS Diploma Course in Tissue Banking (1997 – 2017)
• Conducted IAEA Expert Missions to Malaysia (1994, 1996), Vietnam (1996), Zambia (1997), Myanmar (1997, 1998), Argentina (1997), Brazil (1997), Cuba (1997), Sri Lanka (1998), Sao Paolo, IPEN, Brazil (2000), Korea (2004, 2005) and Vienna, Austria (2009)
• Pioneer member of Asia Pacific Association of Surgical Tissue Banking (APASTB),
• Recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award at the 20th Anniversary of IAEA/NUS Regional Training Centre, Singapore (Sept 2017)
• Specialist in bone allograft transplant
• Published 4 books on Tissue Banking
• Awarded Berita Harian Achiever of the Year Award 2000 for developing the Spastic Children Association of Singapore, and Tissue Banking in Asia Pacific Region.