An association in tissue banking with members mainly from ASEAN countries was established in 1985 in Bangkok after proposed by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Advisory Group. In 1988, the association was renamed from Pan Asiatic Tissue Bank Organisation to Asia Pacific Association of Surgical Tissue Banks (APASTB). Annual Meeting was organised every 2 years in conjunction with international conference, IAEA workshops or seminars.
The 12th International Conference APASTB was held from 2 to 6 June 2008 in Kuala Lumpur in conjunction with the 5th World Congress on Tissue Banking involving European Association of Tissue Banks (EATB), American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB), Australia Tissue Bank Forum (ATBF), Latin American Association of Tissue Banks (ALABAT) and APASTB. Three Special Lectures for APASTB conference were inaugurated during this World Congress:
- Glyn Phillips Lecture
- Abdurrahman Lecture
- Hudson Silva Lecture
Hudson Silva Lecture is a tribute to Dr Hudson Silva. Dr. Hudson Silva was the unforgotten pioneer who established the Sri Lanka Eye Donation Society. Dr Hudson Silva spent almost whole of his life, more than forty years, on eye donation throughout the globe. Ever since he was a medical student in 1958, Dr Silva started to campaign for eye donation throughout his country. Before his death in 1999 he had seen more than 20,000 eyes donated to his own beloved country and over 40,000 had been donated worldwide. This is an historical achievement that has been of no parallel and a record whereby no other human can surpass forever. His name would be remembered and his contribution should be acknowledged in the history of human tissue banking and donation, a person who had helped thousands of people all over the world ‘to be able to see’.
Title: AMNION: HISTORY, BENEFIT, FUNCTION AND APPLICATIONS
DR. NAZLY HILMY
Consultant Radiation Biologist
Advisor, BATAN Research Tissue Bank
Centre for Research and Development of Isotopes and Radiation Technology
- Pioneer in amnion research and radiation processing
- Head BATAN Research Tissue Bank (1990—2005)
- Consultant BATAN Research Tissue Bank (2006—current)
- Conducted IAEA Expert Missions to Malaysia (1991, 1994), Hyderabad Bone Bank, Pakistan (1995) and Mexico City Tissue Bank (1999)
- External Examiner to IAEA / NUS Examination for Diploma Course in Tissue Banking (2004 – 2017)
- Lecturer to IAEA / NUS Practical Tissue Bank Workshop (2004 – 2017)
- Recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award at the 20th Anniversary of IAEA/NUS Regional Training Centre, Singapore (Sept 2017)
- Expert on Amnion Processing and Radiation Sterilisation of Tissue Grafts
- Published 3 books on Tissue Banking
- Published more than 100 articles in national and international journals.